The eighth annual Summer School of the Atlantic Association for Research in the Mathematical Sciences (AARMS) will be held in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics on the campus of the University of New Brunswick-Fredericton, (campus map), Fredericton, (map), New Brunswick, from July 12 to August 8, 2009.
The summer school is intended for graduate students and promising undergraduate students from all parts of the world. Each participant is expected to register for two of the courses. Each course consists of five ninety-minute lecture sessions each week. These are graduate courses approved by UNB and we will facilitate transfer credit to the extent possible.
As in the previous Schools, four courses will be offered:
Algebraic Topology (Math 6501 - Advanced Topics in Maths. I, Algebraic Topology)
- Instructor: Gustavo Granja,Instituto Superior Técnico
- Cryptography (Math 6501 - Advanced Topics in Maths. I, Cryptography)
- Instructor: Mike Jacobson, University of Calgary
- Course webpage:
- Introduction to Quantum Computing
(Math 6512 - Advanced Topics in Maths. II, Quantum Computing)
- Instructor(s): David Kribs and Rajesh Pereira, University of Guelph
- Topological Combinatorics (Math 6512 - Advanced
Topics in Maths. II, Topological Combinatorics)
- Instructor: Daniel Matei, Institute of Mathematics (Simion Stoilow) of the Romanian Academy
For more information about AARMS go to the homepage.
For further information contact
- Dr. Barry Monson
- Department of Mathematics and Statistics
- University of New Brunswick
- Fredericton, New Brunswick
- Canada E3B 5A3
- Phone: (506) 453-4768
An application form is available. Please download and complete this textfile and return it by e-mail to Dr. Barry Monson (address below).
Also, be sure to ask your supervisor, or another professor familiar with your programme, to send Dr. Barry Monson an email which (a) clearly mentions your name; and (b) comments on your preparation for the two course you have selected.
A list of accepted attendees will eventually be available in pdf form as of July 1st, 2009.
The timetable will be posted here in pdf form.
Some useful information is given here.
Travel information, including getting to UNB from Fredericton Airport, is given here.
A group picture of the attendees is available in two different sizes: